August 01, 2005

Who are you?

"When you're in your 90s and looking back, it's not going to be how much money you made or how many awards you've won. It's really "What did you stand for? Did you make a positive difference for people?"
- Elizabeth Dole


This is such a powerful quote. Lately I have been on some sort of quest for truth in my life. I am tired of secrets, deception, dishonesty. I would much rather the truth with a grain of salt than a sugar-coated lie to spare my feelings.

Which brings me to the thought spurred by this quote. At the end of my life on earth, will I be able to look back and be proud of my life? Will I know deep in my heart that I lived my life to its fullest?

Will I have experienced the sorrows of life with a measure of faith? Will I be able to say that I stood firm in my beliefs and never once backed down?

Will my children be proud to call me 'Mother'? Will they laugh and remember days gone by with great fondness?

Will my husband know that I was forever faithful to him? Will he rest in knowing that his faith and trust in me was a valued entity?

Will my friends know that I respected their ideals and opinions? Will they know that I believed in their dreams and appreciated their talents?

Will I have made a difference when my life comes to an end?