December 15, 2005

Give freely

"Give freely without begrudging it, and the LORD your God will bless you in everything you do."
- Deuteronomy 15:10 (New Living Translation)


Recently, a group of artist friends and I had a discussion at great length about putting our work out on the line and getting nothing in return. By nothing, I mean no comments from our readership.

The lack of comments seemed to create this inner "demon" within each of us. We berated ourselves. We felt as though our work wasn't good enough. We beat ourelves up.

Then somehow our thinking slowly evolved. As we laid our thoughts and feelings out on the table, I began to see with new eyes. I realized that I do not write and create for the purpose of receiving a compliment from people who partake of my composition. I write because I am called to write.

My creativity comes from my Creator. He is my ultimate critic. If I do what He wants me to do, then I make Him happy. That's all that matters.

What an awesome lesson I learned. If I give just for the sake of hearing nice words from other people, then I am only a one-woman band, tooting my own horn. I must work and give freely as the Creator gives to me, expecting nothing in return. It is then that I will receive blessings from God.