"I know for sure that what we dwell on is who we become. Become the change you want to see - those are words I live by."
- Oprah Winfrey
My thoughts used to be filled with negative energy. I looked at every situation with an antagonistic approach. If it looked as though something good was going to happen to me, I'd think to myself, 'This is too good to be true,' or 'This would be great...but it will never happen.'
And it wouldn't.
Then I thought, 'See? I knew it would never happen for me!'
I lived like this for years. I couldn't see that I sabotaged myself with my negative thinking.
2005 changed me--in so many ways. I realize I keep saying that, but's it's so true. And this is just one of the many ways that I was changed. I realized that my thoughts created what was to become! When I finally came to this realization, it wasn't easy to stop this bad habit. I had to make a conscious effort to think positively about each situation.
Thinking positive is simply living by faith! I never made that correlation until last year. Living with negative thought processes, I lived contrary to the word of God. Even though I had great faith, I didn't truly live by it because I allowed the negative thoughts to control me.
Here are some scriptures, if you'd like to study this more:
- Live by faith: Romans 1:17: "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith."
- Faith brings peace: Romans 5:1: "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ"
- Confidence and joy: Romans 5:2: "Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of highest privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God's glory."
- Live by faith: 2 Corinthians 5:7: "For we walk by faith [we regulate our lives and conduct ourselves by our conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, with trust and holy fervor; thus we walk] not by sight or appearance."
What's even more amazing, and strengthens me when I feel my own faith waivering, is the faith of men and women of old:
- By faith, Able offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. (Hebrews 11:4)
- By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. (Hebrews 11:5)
- By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. (Hebrews 11:7)
- By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. (Hebrews 11:8)
- By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: (Hebrews 11:9)
- By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, (Hebrews 11:17)
- By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. (Hebrews 11:20)
- By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff. (Hebrews 11:21)
- By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones. (Hebrews 11:22)
- By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment. (Hebrews 11:23)
- By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; (Hebrews 11:24)
- By faith he [Moses] forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible. (Hebrews 11:27)
- By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned. (Hebrews 11:29)
- By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days. (Hebrews 11:30)
- By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace. (Hebrews 11:31)
Live by faith today. Dwell on what is good. Today you have stand at a cross-road. The sign is blank. Fill it with faith. Pave your path with positive thoughts. Believe that which is good--for yourself and others.