Yesterday, my pal, Angela, blogged about coffee intoxication. I read her blog with amusement. Not that I think it's funny to be intoxicated by coffee (because everyone who knows me, knows that I am).
I find it amusing that there are so many studies out there proving, re-proving and then proving again. Every new study seems to blast a big "X" over the last.
For instance, I did some googling myself this morning, and found:
- French researchers reported that caffeine has no affect on the area of the brain involved with addiction at doses of one to three cups of coffee per day.
- Scientific evidence continues to show that not only is coffee drinking in moderation perfectly safe, and no threat to health, it can also have some health benefits.
http://www.cosic.org/health/benificialeffects/ - Its ability to increase blood flow to the brain has been linked to prevention of degenerative brain diseases such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.
http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/04/03/47923587.shtml?Element_ID=47923587 - A study published in the International Journal of Sports Medicine found that as little as one cup of coffee per day improved long-term memory, while two cups improved attention, memory and coordination.
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/article_detail.cfm?ARTICLE_ID=80
http://www.accessexcellence.org/WN/SUA12/cafe399.html
Exactly what does all this research and study mean? Summed up in one word........NOTHING. There are so many conflicting researches and studies that:
- Barely a week goes by without new research surfacing on the benefits or dangers of something in the food we eat.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?xml=/health/2003/07/11/heat11.xml - People are observing early-stage research be cause the media report on it. But the media do not always get the facts straight - either because the reporters don't understand the science themselves, or they are trying to play up research results to grab readers' attention.
http://ncrinc.net/faq5.htm
I could continue posting more links, but it wouldn't matter. With inflamed news reports, and continuing contradictory "scientific findings" I think the best bet is to live healthy and be fit the way that you know how. Decide for yourself. Are your habits hurting you? Do you feel healthy?
After all, somedays we're the rat, and some days we're the wheel!
