February 14, 2009

Thank God for You

I thank my God every time I remember you.
    -- Philippians 1:3

I know today is a day for sweethearts. It’s a special day to remember to tell your sweetie how much you love him/her. But this morning, my heart is in a different place. Today I’m thinking about someone very special to me that isn’t on this earth anymore. So I just want to take a few moments to remember her.

Cindy Martin was a very special woman. Her daughter, Sarah, and I quickly became best friends when I moved to Tennessee in 1994. In Sarah, I found a kindred spirit, something I’d never experienced before. As our friendship blossomed, I also began to get to know her parents and family better, too.

Cindy was a no-nonsense kind of person. She didn’t mind telling me when she thought I did wrong. That was something I appreciated about her. She kind of took me under her wing, mothering me when I was motherless. She gave me advice about life and dating and marriage and having babies.

The year my daughter was born, 1999, cancer claimed Cindy’s life. She fought it tooth and nail to the very end. I’ve never seen someone so strong, in such a weak condition. Even though she knew the cancer was taking its toll, her spirit never broke. She was strong in her faith in God. She knew where she was going when she was finally done with this mortal ground.

The morning I got the phone call, I was on my way to get groceries. (Thank God for cell phones!) I immediately turned around and ran back home so I could change and go be with Sarah. It was a sad, yet happy day and I didn’t want Sarah to be alone through it all.

Thinking back, I’m a little sad that I never told Cindy how much she meant to me. I wish I had taken the time to express my feelings toward her. In so many ways, she became the mother I never had. She was my spiritual mother as well. I wonder if she even knows the impact she had on my life, or how much I appreciated her.

This morning I want to remind you…

If you love someone, tell them. Don’t wait. We have no promise of tomorrow. We are only given this very moment in time. Use it wisely.

I thank my God every time I think of you, Cindy Martin. I hope you are dancing on the hills of glory with Sis. Shirley, waiting for me and Sarah to join you!