February 02, 2006

Blessings

"Reflect upon your present blessings - of which every man has many - no on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some."
- Charles Dickens


Robert and I struggled financially quite a few years. It seemed just when we'd get our footing again, something else would happen to knock us down again.

We grew tired. Weary. Frustrated.

Between me and you, I got downright irritated. I kept asking God Why? Why does this keep happening? Why can't we get a break?

It was difficult to see past the bad things. They were too large, too consuming in my life. It seemed like only bad things happened to me.

I couldn't see the blessings--healthy children, food on our plates, clothes on our backs, shoes on our feet, car to drive.

Every one of us, whether we are well-off financially or not, are blessed beyond measure. Sometimes I think we forget just how bad it really could get. When Robert returned from Iraq, he told stories of children begging for water and money. He said they'd beg for you to give them anything. We truly are a blessed nation--a blessed people.

Don't look back at your past misfortunes. We all have those. Count the blessings that's in your hands today.