November 02, 2008

Incompatible Plans

"We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it."
- Proverbs 16:9 (The Message)

I've increased my personal prayers lately, with regards to God's will for my life. So many times, I am led astray by my own desires and dreams. To be honest, I'm tired of stepping outside His will, just to follow after my own.

I can look back over my 32 years on this earth and give you specific instances when I made the wrong choice or decision about something and stepped outside the will of God. Those times brought heartache and pain. Eventually, I reached a breaking point, which inevitably returned me to the foot of the cross, where I found grace, forgiveness, and mercy yet again.

I'm tired of doing this over and over again. I want to believe I've learned my lesson, but honestly, I'm not sure I have.

This human nature causes me to want certain things. Those things aren't always what is best for me. I can't see the future, but God can. He knows right now what will happen in months and years to come. Steps I take today that are not ordained by Him could lead me down a path of destruction. But only God knows this. And that is why I have to turn to Him and inquire of His will before I ever make a decision.

Far too often, our plans are not compatible with God's plans for our lives. We usually struggle with this, too, because the plans God has for us are usually so far beyond our comprehension that we can't understand why He won't allow us to have what we want right now. We can't see the good things that will come, if we hold to His hand and trust in Him to lead the way.

I want God to guide me. I want my words to be His. I want my thoughts to be guided by Him. I want to go where He wants me to go, and do what He wants me to do. I don't want to worry anymore about what others might think of me. God is the only One who matters. He is the only One I need to please and serve.