February 11, 2005

Beautiful Words

Congenial conversation - what a pleasure! The right word at the right time - beautiful!
- Proverbs 15:23


I once had an aquaintance with a filthy mouth. At first, her brash language and manner of speech offended me. Nasty language. Filthy talk. Negative thought processes. After a while though, I grew accustomed to it.

No wonder why I began feeling and thinking the same way!!

It has been said that bad habits more easily rub off than good ones. I believe it! The more I placed myself in conversations with this person, the more her negative energy rubbed off on me.

Then one day she responded to something I said, and it did not sit well with me. My first reaction was anger.

'How dare she say that? Who does she think she is?'

Then thoughts of revenge entered my mind.

'I feel like chewing her out. She doesn't have a clue who she's dealing with!

Then Jesus tapped me on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, Hope. Who do you think you are? Look at where your thoughts are. They aren't on Me. Give this situation to Me. I will take care of it. Show her love. Show her kindness. I will handle the rest."

Talk about a wake-up call! Have I replied to her? No. I'm leaving it in God's hands. He certainly knows better how to deal with this than I do.

We are commanded in the scripture to keep our conversations lovely and friendly. Wasteful words are harmful and destroy our souls. The right word, at the right time, is a beautiful thing!

Let my words and thoughts be beautiful in Your sight, Jesus!