October 05, 2005

Reach Higher

ReachA good friend and I engaged in an interesting discussion today. We are very much alike in many ways. We don't trust ourself enough. We doubt and questions ourself, even when we know what our own truth is. We do the opposite of what we think we should at times, and then later regret following after someone else's advice, instead of trusting our own instincts.

Speaking for myself, I think a lot of this has to do with the way I have always viewed myself. Because of my past, I learned to never trust myself and to always--ALWAYS--doubt myself, and never, ever believe in myself.

When I finally learned that my past cannot hold me captive, but that I have to allow myself to be encaptured by its chains, I realized that I have to create new habits, new ways of thinking. One of those new habits is to recognize and be proud of my own accomplishments. This may sound simple and silly to some of you, but for those of you who understand what I'm talking about, you know this is a GIGANTIC step towards personal freedom.

To know who you are and embrace yourself, flaws and all, is a major key in gaining self-confidence and freedom. I know now that as a recovering "people-pleaser," it is of utmost importance for me to take a step back at times and remind myself that I am in control of me--no one else can make me do anything I don't want to do, and I don't have to do something just because someone suggests for me to do it.

What "bad" habit prevents you from being you? Create a new, "good" habit for yourself. Practice speaking positively to and about yourself. Try it, and see for yourself what effects you will experience!