"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
- Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
True friends are blessings. Most of the time, they come wrapped up in odd shaped packages and are so unexpected that you nearly overlook them.
Life has a way of weeding out friends from the true friends. Haven't you found that to be true?
When I look back at my life over the last decade, I immediately recognize two people who have been there with me through thick and thin. I'm here to tell you that the three of us have been through some major things together. Yet through it all, we remain friends. That is the mark of a true friend.
Together, we have been through boyfriends, break-ups, marriage, miscarriages, birth, death, heartache, joy, heartbreak. I don't think there is anything we haven't experienced together as friends.
True friends are a valuable treasure. Here are some tell-tale signs that you have a true friend:
- Tears and snot drop to their shoulder while they're wearing a new, dry-clean-only dress and they never notice
- You get mad about something and they give you your space until you cool off, then forgive you for acting like a jerk
- You experience terrible labor pains and call at the last minute and they come to the hospital
- You are alone, your baby is hospitalized, and they are the first person to call or come by to see if you are okay or need anything
- You're struggling spiritually and have a rotten attitude and they are the first to set you straight and tell you that you have a rotten attitude
- You know that it doesn't matter what time of the day or night, you can call and they will be there for you
Thank God for true friends!