April 17, 2005

Enjoy It

"The ultimate goal should be doing your best and enjoying it."
- Peggy Fleming


A few years ago I worked at the local popular chain department/grocery store. The only reason I even went to work was because times were tough, and we needed the money. I hated leaving my job as a stay-at-home-mother to give six to eight hours of my time to people who didn't appreciate me.

I didn't hate my job. I enjoyed interacting with the public. "Older" folks were the highlight of my days. They were never in a hurry. They enjoyed swapping stories. I was thrilled about their newly planted gardens at home. They were thrilled about my daughter learning a new word.

I didn't love my job, either. Rude customers. Hateful mouths. The whole "you're-not-somebody-unless-you-know-somebody" political thing. It got old FAST.

Even when I hated my job, though, I still did the best I could. I smiled when I felt like crying. I held my head high, when I felt like running out the front door. I reminded myself of all the good things I enjoyed about working there.

Sometimes we have to do things that we don't necessarily want to do. The true test of our character lies in how we face these times. Do our best...and enjoy it. Then one day we will be rewarded.

P.S. I have earned my reward--I don't work "there" anymore. ;)