April 24, 2005

The Sin of Gluttony

"Don't waste your energy striving for perishable food like that. Work for the food that sticks with you, food that nourishes your lasting life, food the Son of Man provides. He and what he does are guaranteed by God the Father to last."
- John 6:27


Over the last week or so my mind has been on overload. I keep making the same excuses for myself:

"I have to stay busy to keep my mind off things."

"If I just add this to what I'm already doing that will take up those extra couple of hours every day."


I've even daydreamed lately about what it might be like if I didn't have so many things going on at one time. Might I actually rest? Imagine that! I made the remark, "Sometimes I feel like my brain needs a vacation," in a joking manner. After the words escaped my lips and the laughter died, I felt sadness. When did I become so wrapped up in things that I stopped enjoying my life???

Even though all the things I keep myself invovled in are good things, when do those very things become harmful to me? At what point does it all become too much?

So I have been thinking. And asking myself tough questions. Like, "If everything (online) was taken away, and I could only have one thing left, what would that one thing be?"

I knew the answer immediately. There were no angels singing. A band didn't strike up a chord. Yet, it is right there, buried deep in my heart. Roots are there, strong, thick, deep roots. I know what that single thing is.

So from this point forward, I will be taking steps to recovering from gluttony. Gluttony of over indulgence in order to keep my mind busy. In fact, I've been so busy numbing my mind with things that really don't even matter, that I lost God in the mix! Sad, but true. And now that I know, now that I see, I can change that. From now on, I will only eat of the food that nourishes me, and gives me life. God will be my beacon. He will direct my paths. And what He gives me to do will be everlasting and fruitful.