March 23, 2004

Life's Little Lessons

  Remember: If you have a child who is throwing up sick and has already filled their bed full, DON'T stick that same child in YOUR bed!
  It was late. I was tired. So when she puked her bed full, being the mommy that I am, I led her straight to my bed. BAD IDEA! I was awakened at 4 a.m. by heavy breathing.

I jump up off the couch (which, by the way, is where I made my bed for last night since Robert wasn't here). "What's wrong, Em?"

"Nothing." This is her answer to everything when it's really something. (I'm sorry to say she probably picked this up from me.)

"Is your tummy hurting?"

"No," but looking like she really means yes.

"What's wrong, baby?"

"I need my drink."

I fixed her some sprite in a cup, thinking maybe this would settle her stomach, and sent her on her way back to (my) bed.

Minutes later, as I'm snuggling back into the almost-cold-again spot on the couch, I hear a little voice saying, "I'm scared."

I get up and go in the bedroom, thinking I'll just piled up in the bed with her and go back to sleep. HAAAA! I notice that she's laying on top of the quilt, instead of covering up with it.

As I laid down and pulled the covers over both of us, I feel something slightly wet. Yes, you guessed it. Evidently she threw up in my bed at some point in her sleep.

Now she's on the couch, and I'm up, on the computer. So much for sleep.