January 09, 2006

Procrastination

"Every calling is great when greatly pursued."
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.


As a writer, persistence is of utmost importance to me. It's way too easy to get wrapped up in procrastination. And let me tell you folks, procrastination is ugly, ugly, UGLY! Because when I postpone or delay things needlessly, I get lazy.

Procrastination makes my writing stale and stinky. Actually, procrastination causes me to not form any words at all; so it would be safe to say procrastination prevents me from writing, period.

I know what I've been called to do. But as the quote above states, my calling is only great when greatly pursued. If I'm filled with laziness and refuse to get up and move daily, how great is my calling then? It's not...because it's just sitting there, waiting to be used.

I said all that to say...2006 is going to be the year of NO PROCRASTINATING. There's no time to waste. No time to allow fear to control me.

And speaking of fear, I heard/read something the other day that has resonated within me ever since: Fear is the opposite of love. So let us keep this in mind the next time we begin to feel fear. Let's love ourselves out of the hole of fear, back into the arms of reality.

Here's to a most fabulous, productive, loving week for the both of us!