January 13, 2006

Praise Day

"Praise God, everybody! Applaud God, all people!
His love has taken over our lives; God's faithful
ways are eternal. Hallelujah!"

- Psalms 117:1-2 (The Message)


I just made an executive decision! Friday will be Praise Day here from now on. I receive a daily scripture via email, and when this one landed, it made me smile.

When was the last time you stopped and praised God like this? I must admit that there have been times when days, even months (gasp, choke) passed without a word of praise falling off my lips. It's so human to get wrapped up in the problems, instead of the praise, isn't it?!

I recently saw a sentence on the marquee of a nearby church and it has resonated in my mind ever since. It said:
Don't tell God how big your problems are: tell your problems how big your God is!


But we usually get wrapped up fussing at God, don't we? Soon after reading that sign, I faced a situation that troubled me. My first reaction, of course, was, 'Why, God?' But that thought came to a screeching halt when I remembered the church sign.

You know what I did? I stopped right were I was, stopped what I was doing and spoke aloud to my problem. Actually, I sang:
"My God is more than enough,
He can supply all my needs,
He is my El Shadi,
He always looks after me
Jehova Jirra,
He is my God!"


I sang myself right out of that problem.

And now, with every day that passes, even when the smallest of problems arise, I remind myself to boast of my God, and not the other way around. I am learning to flex my praise muscles!

Get your praise on--leave your praise in the comments!