January 27, 2006

Today

"In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It's not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently."
- Anthony Robbins


Last year I worked hard at releasing some of the many pounds I've gained over the last few years. I needed a change, to get healthier, to make better food choices, to live healthier. I found lots of inspiration in The Biggest Loser.

I was skeptical about this show when it originally came out. But with each episode, I gained some morself of hope, realization, understanding, inspiration, for my own journey. Watching people who were just like me, seeing their transformation, was amazing. When you see someone else struggling, climbing the same mountain you've been on a while, and you watch them work through their issues (the same ones you face, too), it gives you hope to keep moving forward.

The Biggest Loser is going into its third season. Right now they are airing a special edition, where families are going in together as a team to lose weight. When I watched the opening of the episode this week, something clicked inside me. It had nothing to do with the contestants. Nothing to do with weight-loss. The theme song they play at the beginning and end is what grabbed me:
"What have you done today to make you feel proud?"

That simple, single question within the song has gripped my heart and won't let go.

It is so easy--SO EASY!--to allow an entire day to slip by without being productive. I've been busy working a lot since the beginning of this year. Last week, though, we were all sick and I was miserable and lost a lot of time just because I didn't feel good.

Hearing that song the other night made me stop and think. And I've been asking myself that very question every day since: What have I done today to make me feel proud? Am I going to let each hour slip by without doing something that will make me feel proud of me today? What can I do? How can I make a difference?

Tell me, what have you done today to make you feel proud?