January 30, 2006

Goalposts


"In life, as in football, you won't go far unless you know where the goalposts are."
- Arnold H. Glasgow




I purposefully stayed away from this topic on my blog, mostly because I've been afraid of what everyone might think of me if I spoke it. Then I got to thinking and realized that I am not going through anything that someone else hasn't already experienced. So I will share.

I thought I didn't know where my goalposts are. But I do. I just am not very sure about how to get there from here. Ever felt like that?

I can see my prize before me. I see it very clearly in my mind. Yet, I am frustrated because I feel like I don't have direction. I see the flag waving in the wind. I see the place where I'm going to be. But I don't know how to get there.

The path before me looks fuzzy and unclear. It's as though I'm looking through someone else's eyeglasses. The path is distorted. I can't see where the twists and turns are. I squint my eyes, thinking that will help me focus, but it doesn't.

I don't mean to be cryptic here. I just really need some direction. I feel like I am throwing things out, left and right, not knowing where they will land, or if they will land somewhere at all. I feel scattered. And I don't like that feeling.