December 06, 2005

Baby steps

Have you ever felt like you know what you want and you can see the prize at the end of the race, but you don't know how in the world you're going to get from Point A to Point Z? Well, that's how I've felt lately. I know where I want to be with my writing and I know where I am now, but I'm not sure how to get from here to there.

Thankfully, I belong to a private group of four creative women in total, including myself. Sometimes we're chatty, sometimes we're not. But the purpose of our being in a "protected" environment is so that we can share our troubles and rejoice in our victories.

This week we've been super chatty, discussing important matters from all four ends of the spectrum. I made this statement:
"See, the "established professional writers" part tells me that it's
probably not for me. I don't think I'm established. I've only had a
few articles published, and they were for SMALL or online markets."

This has been my point of view since forever. It's always been easier for me to point out and focus on the flaws that I see in myself, instead of honing in on my skills and talents and concentrate on the good things about myself. But then Toni replied saying:
"But the commitment was there. I think that's the key difference, not necessarily where you've been published. I think it's more important to know where you are, which is what you seem to be doing,"

Thank you Toni! Until she made this profound statement to me, I never saw this! And probably never would have. I focus so much on what I haven't done, that I'm discounting all the things I have done. Regardless of whether I consider them to be big or small, they are accomplishments.

It's wonderful to be a part of a group of like-minded women who are able to point out the things I can't see!