December 11, 2005

Drawing from the well

"Knowing what is right is like deep water in the heart; a wise person draws from the well within.
Proverbs 20:5 (The Message)


draw from the wellStruggling with the powers of good and evil is a daily confliction. The flesh wages war against the spirit. We each fight our own battles against the lusts of the flesh.

I am watching people struggle and fall continuously lately. Just when I think people can't surprise me, they do. Even people that I would never expect to give in, cave under the pressure. Yet they also seem to continue on, as though everything is okay.

A while back I began thinking to myself that if all these people can turn away from their morals and convictions and be okay with it, then why shouldn't I, too? Then the Lord showed me something.

He showed me that these people are not happy. There is a saddness in their hearts. There is an emptiness and void within that God's spirit used to fill. And the Lord showed me that not only do His people look and feel like this, but so does He.

He is saddened not only by the failures, but by the very fact that once a child of His has fallen, their brothers and sisters in Christ are not extending a hand to help them back up again. Instead, they are watching with a pious and uncaring spirit.

The Lord also pointed out this scripture to me. He opened my eyes. Even in my weakest moments, I must draw from the well deep within. I know what is right and what is wrong. James 4:17 says, "So any person who knows what is right to do but does not do it, to him it is sin." (Amplified)

Jesus, help us today to be strong in the power of the Lord. Help us to draw from the wells of righteousness. Help us to love our brothers and sisters, and to exhort each other instead of tear each other apart. Fill us with Your love. Make us more like You!